Water flossers in addition to the conventional flossing routine are becoming a more acceptable way of caring for the mouth and teeth. More people are turning to water flossers to complement their oral hygiene routines.
And the reason for this is not far-fetched. Water from this flossers is high pressured which means they’d hit the teeth real hard, dislodging food particles from those hard to reach cracks and crevices, preventing plaque buildups, and leaving the mouth clean and fresh.
There are, of course, some people who think that the traditional teeth brushing and flossing is enough to get to all those tiny food particles stuck in the mouth; unfortunately, it isn’t. And the harder they try to get to those unreachable spots with their toothbrushes the higher the odds of hurting themselves.
This is where they come in handy. Without trying too much, the stream of water from the flossers will be unstuck and wash out every food particle in your mouth.
So in this article, we’ll share with you everything you need to know about this nifty device, what they are; how they work; and why people love them. Also, we hope the article will help you choose the best flossers once you’re ready to make a purchase.
Best Water Flossers – IN A NUTSHELL
What is a water flosser?
It’s a type of an oral device designed to shoot a tiny stream of water between teeth gaps, cracks and crevices to remove any particle stuck there. They’re primarily designed to complement dental flosser for a more efficient oral hygiene.
Think of them as an oral irrigation device that uses water to blast off debris and plaques from the teeth.
How does it work?
At the core of how it works is the combination of high-pressure stream of water and pulsation.
Its effectiveness lies in the fact that the device shoots a tiny stream of water at intervals and is directed at the surface of the teeth or the gum line. Hence, able to dislodge any food particle that might be stuck there.
Why do I need a water flosser?
If you’re like most Americans, we dislike dental flossing. It’s time-consuming, hurts the gums and most times cuts into the hands. But, the thing is, you need to floss and mouthwash, even if it’s uncomfortable and it burns your mouth. There are food debris, plaque building particles and other impurities stuck in the mouth that only regular tooth brushing can’t get to.
Hence, the reason for them. For starters, this nifty device is easy to operate, cleanses faster and is more convenient. You don’t have to experience the awkward shoving of fingers into the mouth to get to the spot that needs flossing.
Simply grab the sleek designed water flosser, fill in the water and direct the jet to the crevices that need flossing, and within seconds, you’d have well-cleaned, whiter teeth with fresher breath.
Also, you can personalize the water jet to suit your needs. Are you wearing braces? Have sensitive teeth? Or perhaps want to get rid of those gross plaques? There are settings on the device that will enable you to set the water tip to a comfortable pressure level.
Do water flossers really work?
Studies have shown that they are useful tools for maintaining oral health. It’s also understandable when users compare water flossers with the manual dental floss. First, water flossing has been shown to be effective in removing biofilm, hard-to-remove plaque coating. Which in effect, prevents tooth cavities and decay?
It has also been shown that they are effective in cutting down gum bleeding by as much as 93 percent and is 53 percent more efficient than manual flossing in reducing gingivitis. So, a water flosser is a good buy for your dental health.
Different types of water flossers
There are several types on the market, and they come in a variety of sizes, shapes, colors, and even types including:
Countertop oral irrigators are the heaviest and bulkiest of the water flossers. Since they are electrically operated, it’s convenient to place them near sockets.
To use, just fill in the reservoir, plugin at the power source, and operate.
A downside to having this type of oral irrigator is that it takes up counter space, not portable for travels, and is corded which means you’d be restricted to staying in on the spot when flossing.
These types are hooked up to your shower system so you can easily floss in the bathroom.
They are not battery or electricity powered hence helping you save on power bills. Since they’re attached to the shower system; they eliminate the need for refills.
Also known as cordless flossers they are slim, easy to use, and portable hence great for travels, and pack well.
They are attached to the faucet to work. For some brands, you have to remove the flosser to use only the tap manually.
Best Water flossers to buy in 2018
We have sorted through the several products on the market to present to you the best ones based on user reviews, price, and manufacturer reputation.
This cordless flossing gadget from the stables of Waterpik, a trusted brand when it comes to manufacturing premium water flossers is packed full of features to cater for everyone’s needs.
The product comes recommended by top dentists for alternative dental flossing. You would say that it goes into the same category with the Philips Sonicare Flexcare Platinum series.
- Turn power switch OFF, plug the power cord into the outlet, and insert the charging cord into the unit.
- Press tip firmly into the unit. To remove the tip, push the tip eject button.
- Unplug charging cord. Lift the flip top on the reservoir and fill with warm water. Refill as needed.
- Start with low pressure and increase to your liking. With unit OFF, place tip in the mouth. Turn power ON.
- Lean over the sink. Close lips enough to prevent splashing. Keep unit upright during use to ensure continuous water flow.
- Aim water at the gumline at a 90-degree angle. Follow the gumline and pause between teeth.
- 10 different pressure settings to accommodate different needs. Whether you have sensitive gums, wear braces, you would find an intensity that’s just perfect for you.
- Incredibly quiet when using, unlike other flossers that make lots of noise.
- 4 unique tips to meet different tooth care needs, for families.
- Comes with a Nano sonic toothbrush for total dental care.
- Efficiently removes plaques and unstuck food debris
- Has reservoir capacity of 90 seconds
- Ergonomic design to easy use and firm grasp.
- A pause button on the handle
- LED display for use in the dark
The VAVA countertop water flosser is designed for use by the entire family. No matter the age, dental needs of each member, there’s something for everyone and fits perfectly near a TAO Clean countertop sonic toothbrush station.
Be sure not to use water hotter than 104 degrees F or 40 degrees C, the 3 color code interchangeable nozzle makes for a hygienic sharing of the flosser by family and friends.
- 600ml reservoir provides 90 seconds continuous flossing experience for a complete cleansing of the mouth.
- 10 pressure settings that enable you to adjust stream up to 110psl
- IPX6 rating to protect and keep it functioning optimally even when accidentally splashed with water.
- Additional tongue scraper to keep bad breath and bacteria buildup at bay.
- Leak-proof with an inbuilt valve that seals the tank and prevents leaking.
- Compact, easy to use, and designed for quieter use.
- Automatically turns off after two minutes of inactivity thereby conserving energy.
Sterlin counter top oral irrigator is an effective alternative to string floss. Easy to use, convenient, and gets the job done.
For a deep cleansing feel, this flosser uses a high-pressure tiny stream of water to dislodging food debris, washing off hard-to-remove plaque buildups and leaving you feeling squeaky clean.
- 10 pressure settings that give the user control over the pressure of the water jet.
- 6 interchangeable nozzles to accommodate individual needs.
- Large tank 600 ml for a more extended cleansing experience
- Compact, quality sleek design to take little space.
- Rechargeable which means you can bring it along on your travels without the worries of a sock to plug it.
- Efficient and provides deep cleaning that needs to preserve healthy gum and teeth.
- Easy to care and maintain. After use empty tank, wipe dry and store away.
- Comes with 3 orthodontic tips, a travel bag to take along when traveling.
This compact, portable and ergonomic designed flosser is made for the traveler or individual going out of power grid. If you plan a trip, this device will definitely fit into your bag, together with the Enke Nomad Sonic Toothbrush.
The smallish compact built means it takes up little packing space, but you’d be pleasantly surprised with its intensity. It efficiently removes debris using a combination of pressure and pulsations.
- Blast stream of water at 40 to 90 psl with 1400 pulses per minute.
- 3 operational modes: Normal – for regular cleaning. Soft – suitable for sensitive gum. Pulse – For cleaning and massaging the gums.
- Built-in long lasting rechargeable battery.
- Auto-timer that turns off automatically after 2 minutes of inactivity.
- Comes with two detachable nozzles; one 3 pin UK charge adapter, and user instruction.
- Intuitive design for easy use, easy to care and maintain.
- Can be used by children over 8 years.
- Portable and easy to bring along on travels.
Made by the trusted Panasonic brand, this product, Panasonic EW-DJ10-A a compact cordless flosser is designed for the individual always on the go; so you can keep up with your oral hygiene routine no matter where you are.
The Panasonic EW-DJ10-A uses the second pump technology to deep clean the teeth.
- Powerful pressure settings to accommodate different needs.
- A powerful maximum jet pressure
- A large reservoir
- Easy to wash and maintain. Dishwater safe
- Detachable tank for ease of cleaning.
- Cordless, chargeable battery with a charging stand.
- Intuitive interface for ease of use.
- Sleek, modern design with ergonomic handle for a firm grasp
- Gentle bubble, soft water for efficient cleaning of the delicate periodontal pocket.
- Thorough cares and massages the gum.
Designed primarily for the traveler, its powerful built pressure ensures your tooth gets thoroughly cleaned.
The H2OFloss offers a complete oral cleaning package, from massaging the gum to keep them healthy, to varying levels of pressure and pulse to blast out food residues, debris from cracks and crevices which makes it suitable for everyone.
- The highest pressure at 110 psl with 1200 pulses per minutes.
- 6 pressure settings to control the intensity.
- Rechargeable and cordless hence making it portable and easy to bring along on travels.
- Easy to operate with the setting button and even pause button on the handle.
- Comes with a carryon bag
- Ease of use – It eliminates the gross need to shove the whole fingers into the mouth.
- Comfort – it a convenient means of getting to those hard to reach areas in the mouth. Most flossers are adjustable with rotatable tips; also, it cuts bleeding which is prevalent in manual flossing.
- Speed – Once one gets the hang of how to use the device, it becomes pretty fast flossing.
- Enhanced cleaning – Studies have shown that the high-pressure jet of water is an efficient way of removing biofilms, flush out bacteria, and dislodge food residues which traditional flossing cannot reach.
What to consider before choosing an oral irrigator
Before purchasing a water flosser, here are some things to consider:
No two persons’ needs are alike. Hence proper research to find the suitable device is essential. You don’t want to get stuck with a flosser that doesn’t meet your needs.
So, consider the number of people that would be using it. Are you in search of one the whole family will use? Then consider getting a countertop. Are you always on the road? The cordless is sure going to be a suitable companion here. Do you prefer washing your mouth in the bathroom? Then go for either the faucet or shower flosser.
Even though most manufacturers will say their products are a lot quieter, it’s essential to check out the noise level of these gadgets before making a purchase.
In fact, you might find out that these water flossers especially the countertop can be quite noisy. Hence you might consider getting a shower or faucet flosser.
Does the flosser have multi-tip settings to select different water flossers intensity? Is there an energy saving feature? Is it easy to use?
Other feature to consider includes the size of the tanks. It is vital to select a flosser that has all the features you’d need.
Even though there’s no fool-proof way to check this, however, one can always get a sense of what’s on offer by reading up on users’ reviews.
Whether you’re getting it for the whole family or simply to carry along when traveling; the size of the appliance such plays a role in determining whether you’re buying or not.
Look out for compact flossers that wouldn’t take up so much counter space, and that can store well.
Wrapping it up
Take your oral hygiene routine a notch higher with water flossers. Studies have shown they are effective in dislodging stubborn food debris, flushing out plaque buildups and provides deep clean.
Unlike the traditional dental floss, they are convenient, fun, and hi-tech, and of course, gets the job done.