Flashlights are one of the handiest gadgets you would need in your home, when you’re out and about, or even on a camping trip. You will definitely need it. But, the UV flashlights bring an extra angle to the whole experience.
IN A NUTSHELL – BEST UV FLASHLIGHTS
Do you know there are several objects you’d miss with a LED flashlight? Imagine, you’re on a trip enjoying the great outdoors say hiking the backcountry, and it got dark pretty early before you were able to get back to camp, what do you do in this situation? Wipe out your powerful flashlight right?
That’s cool, but what if a scorpion is lurking on the ground, chances are you are going to miss it. Here’s where it comes in handy – once you power the torch, the UV light reacts with objects it falls on and makes them to fluorescence – that gives off light – so you can see them.
But, you may just be wondering what is an ultraviolet flashlight?
The fact is ultraviolet flashlights are not like the everyday ones you see around. They use the ultraviolet radiation – which is a light spectrum smaller than the visible light wave bands. They are primarily used in situations where one wants to see things such as stains, hidden writings and so on which cannot be seen to the naked eye or even with a LED light.
The ultraviolet radiation has a wavelength between the 10 nanometers and 400 nanometers with the 385nm-395nm band, the sweet spot for these products, close to UV LED nail dryers, which uses a band between 365-405nm for curing nails. wondering if you can cure nails with a flashlight? Nope, that’s not an option 🙂
Applications of UV Flashlights
The ultraviolet light is used in several professions such as:
- Inspection in a crime scene: A forensic inspector usually uses it to search a crime scene when hunting for evidence that would prove vital in uncovering what happened there.
- It causes bodily fluids like blood, saliva, and others to glow making evidence gathering easy. Before the advent of the ultraviolet light, it is practically impossible to harvest those droppings once they have been wiped clean.
- House inspection before a sale: Professional house inspectors use it in determining what condition a building is in before a sale. The light is employed in the search for leaks, holes or cracks in the air circulation system, heating vents, gas pipes, and on plumbing works. The inspection is an integral part of the evaluation process which enables both the buyer and seller to know what’s needed to be fixed in the property before the transaction is concluded.
- Pet stains illumination: Do you have pets at home? Now, it can help you identify waste fluids like urine from your dogs and cats when cleaning your carpets. It stimulates the droppings to glow, hence making cleaning an easy task.
- Used to identify counterfeits: It makes identification of fake products easy. Since most original products come with an invisible tag that can only be seen when illuminated, hence it becomes easy identifying fake for authentic products.
- Also, for those in the antique business, it is utilized to verify whether a painting is original or duplicate.
- The ultraviolet light is used in cash handling organizations to verify whether banknotes are original or counterfeit. The dollar bills are equipped with a counterfeit strip that glows when exposed to an ultraviolet light.
If you reached this spot, here’s something to think about when planning your next trip 🙂
What to look out for when choosing a UV Flashlight
The primary purpose of them is for illumination. They’re designed to aid you to see in a dark environment. So, depending on your needs which is the first thing you have to figure out before even heading out to purchase one. Here’re some other factors you will have to put into consideration:
- The casing – Choosing between a metal or plastic casing depends whether you’d be using it for the outdoors or indoors. If the use is majorly outside, then it is recommended you get yourself an aluminum alloy covered black flashlight.
- Lens type – Though it aids you to see invisible marks, there are situations when regular one might just be appropriate, hence having flashlights that allow you switch between ultraviolet light and LED light comes in handy.
- Size: Another thing to consider when purchasing is the size. Keep in mind that, the size of the device determines how many diodes is going to have. So if your need requires you have a powerful light, then consider going for the bigger sized ones. However, if a moderate glow is suitable for what you want to be done then, by all means, go for the smaller flashlights.
Here’s our pick of the top 5 ultraviolet flashlights
The uvBeast sweeps through a wider area, covering more space and helping you pinpoint whatever it is you’re after without having to be on top of them – in fact, the beam from this item can catch creepy scorpions 50 feet away. The floodlight effect of the torch also enables you to scan vast area in seconds, and you’re never going to miss a thing.
If you’re still in doubt about just how powerful this product is, keep in mind it is designed for industrial use.
Top features of uvBeast Black Light Flashlight
- Floodlight effect: It pumps out a massive 18 watts of 385 -395nm radiation that sweeps through an entire 20-30 square feet area. So, you don’t have to scan an area feet by feet.
- Works well in an ambient lit room: You don’t even have to use it in a dark place only. As long as the area you intend to scan is lighted with an ambient standard room lighting, then it will work just fine – yes, it is that powerful.
- Power source: Six AA Alkaline batteries that have been proven to last for up to sixteen hours.
- Suitable for both domestic and industrial use.
- Waterproof, shockproof, and will not break on you.
The TaoTronics Blacklight is a low-budget product but sure punches above its worth. If you desire to make invisible things visible, then the TaoTronics flashlight is your guy. It is quite a popular product.
When the beam of light hits a stain, markings, or insects like a scorpion, it lights it up, making it easy to spot them – it works best in a dark room.
The product is used to identify counterfeit currencies, to inspect and spot stains in hotel rooms(like these people are doing it), detect scorpions and so much more.
- 12 number LED bulbs that emit a 395nm wavelength of ultraviolet lights.
- Uses 3 Duracell AAA batteries and lasts up to six hours.
- Spots stains from dog urine, food stains on a table, carpets, and rugs and clothes.
If you ever want to detect life’s messy mysteries hidden from the naked eye then get yourself an Escolite flashlight. With 51 high-quality and durable LED bulbs that give off an ultraviolet light at the 395nm wavelength, you’ll be cringing in disgust in no time when you use this powerful black light in the dark.
You’re going to be shocked at the amount of grime on your carpets, rugs, and table due to food stains, pet urines, and dried fluids – and hopefully, you have the strength to get rid of them.
It’s a low budget product but is packed full of enough strength to help you while hunting down scorpions and your favorite minerals in the dark.
- High power 51 LEDs that gives off ultraviolet light in the 395nm region.
- Top quality and durable aluminum casing to protect against drops
- 12 months warranty
- Powered by three AA batteries
If you prefer something more powerful than the TaoTronics 12 UV LED flashlight, then go for this TaoTronics 51 LED UV one with its more powerful radiation.
Maintaining the top-notch quality we’ve come to expect from the TaoTronics brand, this product is built to last. With a compact body that’s made from an aluminum alloy, inexpensive and efficient, you’re sure going to be getting a bang for your bucks.
Flash the beam to cover a larger area, detect stains clearer, and save yourself the stress of spending hours trying to uncover where the foul odor is coming from.
It is used for several purposes, to identify original documents, detect counterfeit monies, identification cards, and even passports.
- 51 powerful and bright LEDs bulbs that cover a larger area and makes detection of stains like dried urine from your pet more comfortable. Whether it’s a carpet, furniture, rugs, linoleum, and wood surface the black flashlight is sure to uncover it.
- Emits radiation in the 395 nm spectrum
- Is powered by three AAA Duracell Alkaline batteries which last for up to three hours.
- Comes packed with a pair of protective yellow glass to protect you from the powerful ultraviolet light.
If you’d prefer a rechargeable instead of the hassle of changing batteries now and then consider purchasing the TATTU UV02 rechargeable UV Flashlight. With the in-built 3000mAH Lithium long-lasting battery.
Designed for both indoor and outdoor use, it is suitable for those moments when you’re outside hunting down those creepy scorpions or indoors sniffing out the hidden stains on your table, rugs, carpets and wooden floors.
It can also be utilized when authenticating an ID, identifying counterfeit currencies, and when inspecting hotel rooms.
- An Advanced USB charging technology to make charging fun and quick.
- A power indicator that lets you know when the battery is running out.
- Choose between different modes that suit any particular situation – select either High, Medium, Low, Strobe and SOS modes.
- A long-lasting 3000mAH battery.
- Included in the packaging include a manual, wrist strap and a friendly customer service.
Calling it a Wrap
There are several UV flashlights in the market, to eliminate the hassle and stress of going through all that is available, we’ve searched the internet, read through hundreds of reviews to bring you the top quality products you can find anywhere.
Frequently Asked Questions
What precautionary measures should I take when using a UV flashlight?
Can I use Rechargeable Batteries?
On what surfaces can I use it?
Can it be used for tanning or killing bacteria?