Maintaining a pathogen-free aquarium is hard work. Factors such as fish feeds, the water source, and the presence of trace chemicals or other organic substances impact the quality of water in the fish tank.
To ensure a conducive habitat for the fishes, most people install filter systems, some that are simple sponge filters and others that utilize active charcoal in purifying and maintaining healthy water quality for their animals.
However, these internal filters aren’t so effective in keeping away the bacteria. To compensate for this deficiency, aquarium owners use UV sterilizers in addition to the filter system in place.
This strategy has been proven to be effective in eliminating bacteria, algae, viruses, and other free-flowing pathogens from the fish tank.
Best Aquarium UV Sterilizers – IN A NUTSHELL
In this article, we’ll take a look at the best aquarium UV sterilizers on the market today; but first, let’s understand what an aquarium UV sterilizer is.
What is an Aquarium UV Sterilizer?
A UV sterilizer for fish tanks is a filtration system that uses the ultraviolet light from a bulb to eliminate 99.9 percent of all microorganisms floating in an aquarium. Ultraviolet light is the part of the electromagnetic band that is invisible; however, it is powerful enough to penetrate and kill off microorganisms.
Bear in mind when buying an ultraviolet bulb that, the higher the watt, the more thorough the sterilization is, also the effectiveness of the lamp wanes with time.
So How Aquarium UV Sterilizers Work?
Aquarium UV sterilizers are designed in a manner that allows for maximum exposure of the water to the ultraviolet light; which penetrates the microorganisms altering their DNA hence making them harmless; damaging or killing them.
Water flow is pre-set to flow slowly into the tank hence exposing floating pathogens to the lethal dose of the high-intensity UV light.
Recently got an aquarium? Here’s a great guide explaining how to set up one:
Things to be aware of when using them
- Don’t look directly at the ultraviolet light as this may damage your eyes
- Wear gloves when handling and installing them
- It may kill beneficial microorganisms; so you may have to reintroduce this beneficial organism; also be sure to carry out your routine maintenance.
- Most of them don’t have mechanical filters to remove dead pathogens.
- They have a bulb that lasts up to 14 months before needing to be replaced.
So we have listed below the best performing fish tank UV sterilizers on the market to help you maintain an algae-free and clean water, a neat environment for healthy fishes.
Renowned for its ability to reverse algae and bacterial blooms and make your water crystal clear; It utilizes the intense power of the UV light to keep your fish tank water clear and free of microorganisms.
The Green Killing Machine does exactly what it claims – which is clear yucky green algae infested water within days, so you’d be sure of getting the bang for your bucks.
- Carefully remove the unit from the packaging materials. Check for damage.
- Identify the components
- Look at the picture on the box of UV Assembly for reference. Holding the Lamp Assembly upright, attach the Fat Elbow Fitting to the round outlet on the bulb so it faces up. Now connect the Thin Elbow Fitting to the Filter Pump Outlet.
- Submerse the UV Assembly in your tank for 30 seconds to allow air bubbles to escape. Extra bubbles provide unwanted buoyancy.
- Locate the UV in the desired location in your aquarium making sure the Bulb Assembly is covered with water. The UV bulb may be rotated if needed to fit your tank.
- To avoid the risk of shorting caused by water vapor, the Connection Box MUST be affixed to the outside of the tank but not on the top of the tank.
- The PowerHead pump is one of the prominent features of this efficient ultraviolet sterilizer. The powerful pump sucks in the water; and passes them along the UV light to be sterilized of all pathogens, then spills out clear, micro-organism free water. It’s rated 200L/Hr. And comes with a sponge that filters out dead algae.
- LED light indicator for when to replace ultraviolet bulbs: You don’t have to guess second when to change the bulbs. Once it’s to replace the bulbs, the LED indicator starts blinking.
- It’s easy to install: the user manual is clear, concise and easy to follow. You don’t need any technical skills to be able to figure out how to couple and install the Killing machine in your aquarium.
- It is Submersible – which means you don’t have to run extra plumbing to get it working.
- Takes approximately 14 days to clear a cloudy green aquarium
- Durable: the bulb lasts for about 14 months with constant use before it can be replaced.
The Green Killing Machine comes packaged with the following items:
- A 9-watt PowerHead Pump that filters up to 50 gallons of water
- An excellent instruction sheet on how to use and set up the device
- An ultraviolet lamp with bulbs that last up to 14 months
Say bye to greenish algae blooming water. This is every aquarist dream; it’s affordable, effective, and reliable – the three essential attributes to look out for when purchasing.
This compact and versatile unit comes packed and ready to be installed – and yes, you don’t need any advanced technical skill to figure out what to do – simply follow the clear instructions on the user manual. The unit comes with a suction cup you can stick on the aquarium wall; this means no need for additional tubing or plumbing.
- An internal power pump that sucks in the water and exposes them to the ultraviolet light for sterilizing, and clearing the cloudy microorganisms
- Blue LED light that indicates the bulb is on and that there’s a reasonable water flow rate.
- Pre-filter sponge to catch debris from entering the pump
- Strong water flow rate at 211 gallons per hour.
- Submersible which means no need for additional plumbing or tubing
- A 9-watt UV light that’s effective in eliminating 99.9 percent of the algae
If you are in the market for a pond-sized sterilizer then this product is for you; this compact, durable and versatile product will effectively clear the pond of yucky green algae making the water crystal clear.
It has an enlarged ultraviolet lamp that offers more contact area for the water, hence increasing the duration the free-floating algae are exposed to the high-intensity UV light. It clears algae to bloom within 3-5 days and maintains algae, microorganism free, thereby cutting back on the pond maintenance.
- A safety switch designed to prevent contact with UV light. Close the UV cap before turning it on.
- Suitable for pond size of 8800 gallons per hour.
- Double conical shaped tube connectors to regulate the flow rate.
- Transparent indicator glass to view flow rate and bulb function
- Easy to set up with screw holes to hold it firmly in place
This is the industry’s first hang-on ultraviolet sterilizer that can skim water surfaces for free-floating harmful bacterial, algae and microorganisms, so you’re not stuck with the unsightly submerged canisters.
This unit I capable of filtering 64 gallons of water per hour, and is designed to work optimally in a 15-gallon aquarium. It comes packed with a 3.4-watt pumping power and a medium pressure ultraviolet lamp of 5 watts.
- Separate UV power light switch which boosts the safety measures of the unit.
- 5 stage filtration, to ensure complete elimination of algae and other harmful microorganisms.
- Built-in self-adjusting surface skimmer to clean and leave your fish tank sparkling clean and the water is crystal clear and algae free.
- Easy to install, with no extra plumbing or tubing required.
- Kickstand at the bottom of the filter to help adjust the angle to prevent overflow.
- Comes with a concise, easy to follow user manual
Battling algae bloom on your pond? This sterilizer is designed to eliminate those greenish yucky from large-sized fish tanks especially.
It’s built for a pond size of 125 gallons with mounting brackets either for a hang-on or inline applications. The innovative turbo twist feature makes it the most efficient unit on the market today.
- 3x stage filtration process that completely eliminates the algae and other disease-causing microorganisms
- Double wall construction makes the unit sturdy and durable.
- Can installed vertically or horizontally depending on the shape of your fish tank
- Suitable for both fresh and salt water.
- Has an inbuilt quartz glass sleeve with a PL compact fluorescent that ensures spread of the ultraviolet light.
- The innovative turbo twist design to increase the exposure time in the filter.
Now, some FAQs
What's the purpose of an ultraviolet sterilizer?
Should I use ultraviolet light for my aquarium?
How long should I run the aquarium UV sterilizers?
What are the benefits of using one?
Will it heat up an aquarium?
A UV sterilizer provides an easy to use an effective and efficient method of maintaining a crystal clear, algae, and bacterial free aquarium. These devices have been proven to eliminate the greenish color within days.
Therefore, they will not only extend the life of your fish, but it would also make your aquarium appealing and well taken care of.